Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne - June 30, 1917 - May 9, 2010

Lena Horne, an African American Icon, has lain down with our Ancestors.
Cabin in the Sky(1943) and Stormy Weather (1943) were the first two musicals that she starred in.

I discovered these two films at my Grandparents' home one Sunday, and watched them back to back. I saw Lena Horne, Ethel Waters and Katherine Dunham grace the screen as a pre-teen and I was forever more enchanted by dance and film.
Just imagine seeing- two of my favorite actresses, along with Katherine Dunham, with her African Haitian Dance rhythms moving across the screen - oh, I was so excited to see these women do their thing on film!
Lena Horne was the first black performer to be signed to a long term contract to a movie studio, crossing all kinds of color lines professionally and personally. She lived a very interesting life and paved the way for future actresses to move forward in Hollywood.

Rest in Peace, Lena Horne.

C

No comments :

Post a Comment